Easy one pan honey glazed roast pork is moist, tender, and juicy, coated with an irresistible honey glaze and packed with potatoes, green beans and apples.
For the pork:
- 2 lbs. pork shoulder, boneless (or pork belly)
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the vegetables:
- 1 lb. baby potatoes, halved
- 1 medium apple, sliced
- 1 cup green beans (about 125 grams), ends trimmed
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the honey glaze:
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
For the gravy (optional):
- 1 cup pan drippings
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (or more if needed)
Marinate the Pork:
- Pat dry the pork shoulder (or pork belly) completely with a paper towel before adding seasoning. Score the pork with a knife to make shallow cuts, about 1/4-inch deep. This helps the pork soak in all the marinade.
- In a Ziploc bag, combine pork with hoisin sauce, honey, dark soy sauce, garlic, green onions, and black pepper. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Massage the marinade around the pork to coat it and place it in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
Prepare the Vegetables:
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add potatoes, apple slices, green beans and onion. Drizzle with olive oil and season with Italian seasoning and salt. Toss to combine with until well coated.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture onto a cast-iron skillet (or a quarter sheet baking pan) and spread them evenly.
Roast the Pork and Vegetables:
- Place the marinated pork on top of the vegetables and drizzle the remaining marinade over the vegetables.
- Roast uncovered in the oven at 350F for 1.5 to 2 hours, until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 160 F. The baking time will vary depending on the size of the pork shoulder. Check for doneness by inserting a digital meat thermometer into the center of the pork to get a quick measurement.
- Once the pork is done, let it rest at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
Make the Honey Glaze and Broil:
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine hoisin sauce, honey, and dark brown sugar into a smooth paste.
- Generously brush the sauce over the pork and broil it on high for 3-4 minutes, or until you achieve a caramel brown colour and the edges of the pork turn nicely charred. The intense high heat creates a beautiful caramelizing glaze from the browning of sugar during broiling.
Make Gravy (optional):
- Slowly pour the pan drippings through a fine mesh sieve and into a cooking pot. Add flour and whisk to combine. Make sure the flour is fully dissolved.
- Transfer the pot to the stove and heat over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, continuously stirring until gravy is thickened. If you prefer a thicker gravy, whisk in 1/2 tablespoon of flour at a time to thicken it out. If it gets too thick, add 1/2 tablespoon of water at a time to thin it out.
- Slice the pork into 1/4-inch pieces and serve with roasted vegetables and a drizzle of gravy (or just pan drippings if not making gravy) on top.
How to use a meat thermometer: A digital meat thermometer is very useful when cooking pork or any kind of meat. It ensures that you never end up with undercooked or overcooked meat. Simply insert the thermometer halfway inside the meat to get a quick measurement. Once it reads 160F, the pork is done and you can take it out of the oven.
Slow cooker instructions: You can make this honey glazed pork in the slow cooker as well. Marinate the pork as is, then sear it over medium high heat on all sides until browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. Then layer the vegetables on the bottom of the slow cooker and place the marinated pork on top. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Then continue the recipe as is, making the glaze and broiling the pork for a few minutes until crisp.
- Category: Pork
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: honey glazed roast pork, roast pork with honey glaze, skillet honey glazed roast pork, one pan roast pork and vegetables, sheet pan roast pork with vegetables,