Delicious, golden brown loaf of homemade sunflower seed bread is soft and fluffy on the inside, and crispy on the outside. There are not too many things better than the smell and taste of freshly baked bread enjoyed in the comfort of your own home!
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (not hot!)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil, divided
- 1 cup plain, all-purpose flour + some more for dusting
- 3/4 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons sunflower oil, all-purpose flour, and wholemeal spelt flour. Bring it all together to make a soft dough – you can use your hands or a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead, dusting with flour as needed. Knead for around 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic (be patient and use the full 10 minutes as this will pay off with light, airy bread!).
- Once kneaded, place dough in a bowl, cover with a cloth and let it rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Ideally, you want the temperature to be slightly above room temperature (at least 75-80ºF (24-26ºC)).
- Add salt and sunflower seeds (reserving 1 tablespoon for crust) to the dough and stir in.
- Grease a 5×9-inch tin with some oil. Push the dough into the tin firmly, pushing out air. Cover and let it rise again, about 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of sunflower oil, scatter with the remaining tablespoon of sunflower seeds, and bake for 60 mins, until well risen and golden.