Learn how to make a delicious, golden brown loaf of homemade sunflower seed bread today! It is soft and fluffy on the inside, and crispy on the outside.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour + some more for dusting
- 3/4 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, 2 tablespoons sunflower oil, all-purpose flour, and wholemeal spelt flour. Bring it all together to make a soft dough – you can use your hands or a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead, dusting with flour as needed. Knead for around 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic (be patient and use the full 10 minutes as this will pay off with light and airy bread).
- Once kneaded, place dough in a bowl, cover with a cloth and let it rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Ideally, you want the temperature to be slightly above room temperature.
- Add sunflower seeds to the dough (reserving 1 tablespoon for the crust) and knead it in.
- Push the dough firmly into a 5x9-inch loaf pan, pushing out the air. Cover and let it rise again, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Drizzle the top of the dough with the remaining tablespoon of sunflower oil and remaining tablespoon of sunflower seeds. Bake for 60 mins, until well risen and golden.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes (+ 1 hour wait time)
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to bake bread, sunflower bread, sandwich bread, bread, toast bread, seeded bread, loaf bread