Homemade popcorn from scratch is quick and easy to make, a delicious and healthy snack, and is completely customizable with your favorite seasonings.
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast (or to taste)
- Cook the popcorn. There are two ways to make homemade popcorn. You can make it using the low heat method or medium heat method.
- Low heat method: Place the popcorn kernels in a single layer on a thick-bottomed skillet or cooking pot. Turn the heat on low and close the lid. Once the skillet is hot enough, the kernels will start to pop after about 5-7 minutes. Shake the skillet gently and continue cooking over low heat until you can no longer hear kernels popping, about 2-3 minutes.
- Medium heat method: Over medium heat, heat 2-3 popcorn kernels on a thick-bottomed skillet stove or cooking pot with the lid on until the kernels pop, about 2-3 minutes. This ensures the hot skillet is ready. Once the kernels pop, spread the rest of the popcorn kernels in a single layer in the skillet and close the lid. The kernels will start popping quickly, about 30 seconds. Shake the skillet gently and let the kernels cook over medium heat until you can no longer hear kernels popping, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add seasoning. Transfer the popcorn into a large mixing bowl. Add seasoning (oil, salt, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast) and toss well to coat. Serve immediately.
How to make sweet popcorn: Mix the popped kernels with 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or cocoa powder).
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade popcorn, how to make popcorn, vegan popcorn, healthy popcorn, stovetop popcorn