Homemade flour tortillas are delicious, soft, and so easy to make! They are easy to make with just 5 pantry staple ingredients and ready in under an hour.
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (350 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt (6 grams)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (6 grams)
- 1/4 cup oil (55 grams)
- 3/4 cups water (180 grams)
Prepare the dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder until evenly combined.
- Stir in oil and water. Mix well with a spatula until no dry flour is visible. Make sure to scrape off any remaining flour from the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the dough mixture onto a clean and dry surface. Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes until it turns into a smooth dough ball. You can also knead the dough on medium speed in a stand mixer for 6-8 minutes until smooth.
- Cover the dough with plastic cling wrap and let it rest for 10- 15 minutes. This will help dough develop gluten strength.
- On a clean surface, roll the dough into a 16-inch long log and use a bench scraper or knife to divide it evenly into 12-14 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Use a rolling pin to roll each ball into a 6-inch disc.
Cook the tortillas:
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot, about 1-2 minutes. Place one tortilla on the skillet at a time and cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute on each side until lightly browned. You should see the tortillas rise and form bubbles on top.
- Repeat with all tortillas and cover with a clean tea towel to keep them soft.
Cut your cooking time in half: To speed up the cooking process, put two or more pans on the stove to heat your tortillas at the same time!
Make ahead tip: If you know you’ll want to reheat your tortillas in a pan later, consider undercooking them slightly. That way, they won’t overcook or burn the next time you put them on the pan.
How to store: Homemade flour tortillas can be left at room temperature, covered in a tea towel, for 12 hours. After that, you’ll want to keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
How to reheat tortillas: For a crispy tortilla, reheat on the pan the same way you cooked them. For soft tortillas, wrap in aluminum foil and then bake in a preheated 350F oven for 5 minutes until warm.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: How to make Homemade Flour Tortillas , Homemade Flour Tortillas, easy Homemade Flour Tortillas