Once you try Homemade Chocolate Pudding, you’ll never want to touch another box of instant pudding mix. This no bake recipe takes 5 minutes to prep!
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, natural
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 and ½ tablespoons butter, unsalted
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ice cubes (for water bath)
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks until well blended. Whisk in the milk and heat over medium heat, stirring often, about 5-8 minutes.
- Once the mixture starts to bubble, turn the heat down to low and continue cooking until thickened, whisking often, about 1-2 minutes more. Note that pudding will be pourable but will continue to thicken more as it cools.
- Remove from heat and immediately whisk in the butter, melted chocolate, and vanilla, stirring until smooth.
- If you notice any lumps, pass the pudding through a fine mesh sieve over a large heatproof bowl to remove any lumps. Skip this if you don’t notice any lumps.
- Prepare a large bowl with some water and ice to make an ice bath. Place the saucepan directly into the ice bath, stirring occasionally, until the pudding reaches room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate until the pudding has chilled through completely, at least 4 hours (up to 2 days).
Make ahead: You can make chocolate pudding from scratch ahead of time. Homemade chocolate pudding will keep for up to one week in an airtight container in the fridge.
How to store: Transfer homemade pudding into a sealed airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Try to avoid leaving your pudding out at room temperature for more than 1-2 hours.
How to freeze: Freeze leftover pudding for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. You can also freeze smaller portions in ice cube molds. The consistency will turn into a rich and creamy ice cream. You can enjoy it frozen or allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Chill Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate pudding, homemade chocolate pudding, chocolate pudding from scratch, how to make chocolate pudding, pudding recipe