Hamburger soup with macaroni is a quick and easy weeknight dinner that‘s wholesome, filling, comforting and nutritious. Prep, cook and serve under an hour.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups dry small elbow pasta, uncooked
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Heat oil in a 6 quart Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat until the oil is sizzling hot, about 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned evenly, about 6-8 minutes. Use a spatula to break the ground beef into small pieces. Drain the excess fat.
- Add onions, garlic, and carrots and sauté until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce until evenly combined. Add diced tomatoes and beef broth. Mix well and bring the soup to a boil.
- Stir in macaroni pasta and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the lid and simmer until the pasta has cooked through, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Serve warm with a sprinkle of chopped parsley, if desired.
Add your favorite garnishes: Top with a sprinkle of cheese, a dollop of sour cream, fresh chopped parsley and chives, or your favorite crackers.
How to store: Store leftover hamburger soup in an airtight container like a Tupperware or a sealed plastic bag for up to four days. Reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat or in the microwave in a microwave-safe dish, until warmed through.
How to freeze: Allow the soup to cook to room temperature, then store in a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to three months. Place in the refrigerator at least 24 hours before you intend to serve to allow it to thaw, or use a warm water bath to release the soup from the container or bag and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hamburger soup with macaroni, goulash soup, beef macaroni soup, beef tomato and macaroni soup