Ground Turkey Soup is hearty, nourishing, and healthy. Loaded with protein and veggies, this Italian soup is packed with flavor and is super filling.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/2 pound white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat oil in a large pot or 4 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the hot oil is sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir well and break up the turkey into small pieces.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, broth, and bay leaves. Mix well and bring the soup to a boil.
- Add potato, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cover the lid and simmer over low heat until the potato is fork tender, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the potato from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Insert a fork to check doneness (if a fork is easily inserted into the potato, it's fork tender and ready).
How to store: Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
How to freeze: Place in a freezer-safe container like a plastic deli container or a freezer bag and fill only ¾ of the way to allow for expansion. Freeze for up to three months and thaw in the refrigerator overnight or use a warm water bath to release the frozen soup from the container.
Add more carbs: If you want to make this soup go a little further, add cooked rice, pearled couscous, or your favorite shape of pasta at the end to increase the amount of servings you can get from one pot and introduce more texture.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: ground turkey soup, italian turkey soup, italian soup with ground turkey, tomato soup with ground turkey