Green bean casserole is a classic holiday side dish packed with fresh green beans in a delicious creamy mushroom sauce, and topped with crispy fried onions.
- 1 + 1/2 lbs. green beans, ends trimmed and cut in half
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cups brown mushrooms, sliced (about 1/2 lb.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream (or half and half cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 + 1/2 cups French fried onions, homemade or store-bought
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large pot of boiling water, add green beans and blanch until slightly softened yet still bright green, about 5 minutes. Rinse green beans under running cold water to cool off and drain in a colander. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add onion and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes until nicely browned on all sides.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in flour until evenly combined and cook for another minute.
- Add heavy cream, Italian seasoning, cayenne (if using), and Parmesan cheese. Stir well and bring the sauce to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and keep stirring until thickened to the desired consistency, about 5-7 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Place green beans in a 9x13-inch casserole pan and pour cream sauce evenly on top. Bake at 350 F until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle fried onions on top and bake for another 5 minutes until crispy. Let cool for 5-10 minutes and serve warm.
Add the fried onions at the right time: If you let the fried onions sit on top of the casserole for too long, the steam will make them soggy. Preserve its crispiness by waiting to add them until the last minute.
Avoid a soggy casserole: First, do not overcook your beans. Then, make sure they’re completely drained and as dry as possible. If your beans are partially frozen or not drained, the excess water will make your casserole soggy and wet.
How to store green bean casserole: Keep leftover casserole (if there is any!) covered tightly with plastic cling wrap in the casserole pan or in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Try to store the crunchy toppings separately, if possible.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: green bean casserole, how to make green bean casserole, homemade green bean casserole, green bean side dish