Easy Greek lemon garlic whole roast chicken is tender, juicy and succulent with the crispiest skin. Prep this flavourful one pan meal in just 15 minutes.
- 1 whole chicken (3 lbs.)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 carrots, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- Pat dry the whole chicken completely with a paper towel before adding seasoning. This helps create an extra crispy skin when roasting. In a small bowl, whisk together salt, pepper and thyme and generously rub all over the chicken, inside and out. Set aside for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grate the lemon and transfer lemon zest into a small bowl. Then, squeeze out 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into the same bowl, and add olive oil, garlic and paprika, and whisk to combine. Stuff the leftover lemon into the cavity of the chicken. Generously brush half of the lemon mixture over the whole chicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss to combine the remaining half of the lemon mixture with potatoes and carrots.
- Spread the vegetables evenly on the bottom of a large cast-iron skillet or a roasting pan. Place a roasting rack over the vegetables and place the whole chicken on top, breast side up. The roasting rack allows the heat to circulate evenly underneath the meat, as well as around the sides. If you don't have a roasting rack, you can place the chicken directly on top of the vegetables.
- Roast the chicken in the preheated oven for 1 to 1.5 hours depending on the size of the chicken, until the internal temperature reaches 165F. You can check the internal temperature by sticking a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast.
- To make chicken skins extra crispy and browned, turn on the broil setting to high and broil for an additional 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on the broiler because things can heat up and burn quickly.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving (the chicken is still cooking gradually from the residual heat).
- Serve with the roasted vegetables, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a drizzle of extra juices from the pan on top.
How to get extra crispy skin: There are two steps that can really help make the skin extra crispy. First, pat dry the chicken before adding any seasoning. Second, broil the chicken for 5 minutes after it is done roasting. But keep a close eye on the broiler because things can happen fast and you don't want to burn the skin.
How to cook in a dutch oven: Once you have assembled the ingredients into a dutch oven instead, cover the lid and roast the chicken at 400F for 30 minutes. Then, remove the lid and continue to cook for another 20-25 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165F as read on a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken breast.
How to store: Transfer any leftovers into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. To reheat, place in the microwave, air fryer at 300F for 5-10 minutes, or in the oven at 300F for 10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: greek lemon garlic whole roast chicken, whole roast chicken, greek-style roast chicken, lemon garlic roast chicken, greek chicken and potatoes