Greek lamb shanks are tender, flavorful, delicious, and literally fall off the bone. Make this Mediterranean lamb in the oven, instant pot, or slow cooker.
- 4 medium lamb shanks (about 1 pound each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 pound small potatoes (about 6 potatoes)
- Use a paper towel to pat the lamb shanks completely dry. Generously rub with olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin. Set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Cook in the Oven:
- Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat for a minute. Add the marinated lamb shanks and sear until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth (or water), bay leaves, oregano, onion, garlic, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon juice, and potatoes. Mix well until evenly combined. The liquid should just cover the lamb shanks. If not, add a little bit more water.
- Bring it to a simmer and cover the lid. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1.5 - 2 hours until tender (and the meat falls off the bone).
Cook in the Instant Pot:
- On the Instant Pot , turn on the Sauté function to high. Add oil and heat for 1 minute until it sizzles. Add the marinated lamb shanks and sear until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well. Seal the lid and turn the steam release knob to the SEAL position. Pressure cook for 45 minutes until completely tender. Once the time is up, quick release the remaining pressure by turning the steam release valve to the venting position.
Cook in the Slow Cooker (Crockpot):
- Heat oil over medium-high in a large skillet or Dutch oven until sizzling hot, about 1 minute. Brown the lamb shanks on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer the seared lamb shanks to a slow cooker and add in the remaining ingredients. Mix well. The liquid should almost cover the lamb shanks. If not, add a little more chicken broth or water.
- Close the lid and set to cook for 8-10 hours overnight on LOW or 4-6 hours on HI. When time is up, the slow cooker will automatically switch to WARM setting.
How to store: Store leftover Greek lamb shanks in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to freeze: You can also freeze cooked Greek lamb shanks. They will last up to three months in the freezer. I recommend portioning them out in separate containers for easy thawing. Thaw frozen lamb overnight in the fridge before reheating.
How to reheat: To reheat leftover Greek lamb shanks, place the lamb shanks, sauce, and potatoes in a covered saucepan over medium heat and heat until warmed through. If the sauce seems too thick, add a few tablespoons of water to thin it out.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Marinate Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Lamb
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: greek lamb shanks, greek style lamb, greek lamb, slow cooker lamb shanks, instant pot lamb shanks, dutch oven lamb shanks, mediterranean lamb