Better than takeout garlic shrimp stir fry is saucy, sticky, flavorful, and delicious. It's quick and easy to make in 15 minutes and great for meal prep.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound white shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon green onions, finely chopped
- crushed peanuts (optional, for serving)
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients until smooth (soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, ketchup, chicken broth (or water), and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles, about 1 minute. Add shrimp and sauté until it turns pink on both sides, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the sauce and bell pepper. Toss well and cook until the sauce simmers and thickens to a desired consistency, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in green onions and top with crushed peanuts (optional). Serve immediately with a bowl of steamed rice.
How to store: Keep garlic shrimp stir fry in an airtight container for up to 3 days. For easy meal prep, I recommend storing individual portions alongside steamed rice, so you can easily reheat a complete meal for lunch the next day.
How to reheat: When reheating cooked shrimp, it’s important that you’re careful not to overcook it. You can heat this garlic shrimp stir fry in the microwave on medium heat in 20-second increments until warm, stirring occasionally. Or, you can heat on the stovetop in a covered pan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Add a splash of water if the sauce has thickened up too much when storing.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: garlic shrimp stir fry, shrimp stir fry, stir fry with shrimp, stir fry with prawns, seafood stir fry, stir fry