Velvety and smooth, garlic mashed potatoes with sour cream are the best and most flavourful make-ahead side dish ever. Garlicky, buttery, creamy, and pure comfort.
- 2 lbs. Yukon gold or russet potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (+1 tablespoon for garnish)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Place potatoes and whole garlic cloves in a large pot and cover with salted water to cover potatoes by about an inch. Heat over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are soft when you insert a fork.
- Drain and place back in the pot. Use a potato masher (or a fork) to mash the potatoes and garlic.
- Add in butter and sour cream and mix together with a spoon, until melted and incorporated into the potatoes. Stir in the milk and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish, garnish with parsley, extra butter and serve warm.
Make ahead instructions: You can make this up to 3 days ahead. Reheat in the microwave or oven. You can also reheat on the stove but you may need to add in some extra butter to make it nice and velvety before serving.
How to store: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: garlic mashed potatoes, mashed potatoes with garlic, easy mashed potatoes, garlicky mashed potatoes