Make-ahead, freezer-friendly vegetarian breakfast quesadillas stuffed with eggs, onions, green peppers, mushrooms, and sharp white cheddar, are grilled to crispy perfection. Eat them now or freeze for a later day!
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted (or vegetable oil)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4-5 mushrooms, diced
- 9 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 and 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded (or cheese of your choice)
- non-stick spray oil
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-heat heat, until melted. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add green peppers and mushrooms and cook for 4-5 more minutes, until slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper together until completely mixed and slightly frothy. Add egg mixture to the skillet and cook until eggs are scrambled and cooked through, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Divide the egg/veggie filling evenly amongst the tortillas into an even layer on half of each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese on top, then fold the tortilla over to seal.
- Heat a large griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with non-stick spray then cook quesadillas until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Repeat until all quesadillas are cooked.
- Serving immediately: To serve immediately, cut into wedges and serve warm.
- Serving later: If making ahead, let quesadillas cool completely. Then wrap each quesadilla tightly in aluminum foil and place in ziplock bags. You can store the quesadillas in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: To reheat, preheat oven or toaster oven to 325°F. Remove foil and heat until warmed, approximately 20 minutes if refrigerated or 30 minutes from frozen. If refrigerated, you can also reheat by heating up a non-stick pan to medium heat, and grilling on each side for 1-2 minutes until crispy.