Flaky cornmeal cheddar biscuits are simple, buttery, cheesy, and so delicious. These savoury biscuits with perfect golden tops are quick and easy to make.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal, fine
- 2 + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, very cold and diced
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar, grated
- 1 cup buttermilk, very cold
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter or fork until butter is the size of small peas. Add the grated cheddar and stir to combine. Slowly pour in the buttermilk and mix just until combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat it into a 1-inch thick square. Cut the dough into 4 even squares and stack them on top of each other. Lightly dust a rolling pin and the work surface again with flour. Roll the dough into a 1-inch thick rectangle (approximately 9x12-inches). Cut the dough into 12 square pieces (or cut into 15 pieces for smaller biscuits) and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet.
- Transfer the baking sheet into the freezer for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 F and line a large half sheet baking pan with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Remove the biscuits from the freezer and brush on melted butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden-brown. Serve warm.
Use really cold milk and butter: The first ingredient that I measure and prepare is the butter. Once I cube it, I place it in the freezer until I am done measuring out and prepping the other ingredients, and ready to use it.
Use fresh ingredients: This is really important when it comes to baking powder and baking soda. These ingredients are what cause the biscuits to rise and puff up. If they are not fresh, then they will not do their job as well.
Do not over mix the dough: Overmixing the dough will cause the butter to melt too much and cause the biscuits to spread and not get the high rise that we are looking for.
How to store: To store these cornmeal biscuits, allow them to completely cool and then store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to one week.
How to freeze: You can also freeze these cornmeal biscuits in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Allow them to thaw overnight in the refrigerator or for a few hours at room temperature before serving. To reheat, heat in the oven or air fryer at 300F for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes (+15 minutes chill time)
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: flaky cornmeal cheddar biscuits, cornmeal biscuits with cheddar, flaky cornmeal biscuits, cornmeal cheddar biscuits