Fettuccine alfredo is a classic Italian pasta dish that is rich, creamy, and delicious. Plus, it comes together in less than 15 minutes!
- 1 (10 oz.) package fettuccine pasta noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add fettuccine noodles and salt and cook until al dente (fully cooked but still firm) according to package directions, about 2-3 minutes for fresh fettuccine noodles and 8-10 minutes for dried noodles. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water and then drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Stir well and bring the sauce to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and keep stirring until thickened to a desired consistency, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in cooked fettuccine and toss well to combine. If you like it a bit saucier, slowly add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup reserved pasta water and stir well to combine.
- Sprinkle extra Parmesan and freshly ground black pepper on top.
Don’t overcook the pasta: Follow the package instructions and set a timer so you don’t accidentally overcook the pasta. Also keep in mind that the fettuccine will cook slightly more once it’s introduced to the hot pan with the alfredo sauce.
How to store pasta: Allow the fettuccine alfredo pasta to cool to room temperature before placing it in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
How to reheat fettuccine alfredo: Reheat on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through, about 5 minutes. If the sauce has thickened up too much in the fridge, add a splash of water. You can also microwave leftover pasta, covered, on low heat in 30-second intervals until warmed through, up to four minutes. Mix frequently.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fettuccine alfredo, how to make fettuccine alfredo, homemade fettuccine alfredo, easy pasta recipe