Fragrant chives with fluffy scrambled eggs, and a dash of flavour come together to create the perfect appetizer — egg and chive vegetarian dumplings.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups Chinese chives (garlic chives), chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 50 dumpling wrappers (1 lb.pack)
- black rice vinegar or soy sauce for dipping
- Whisk eggs in a bowl for a minute.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook eggs, scrambled, until light and fluffy. Do not overcook. Remove from heat and separate eggs into small pieces (the size cottage cheese).
- In large bowl, combine eggs, chives, sesame oil, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Stir ingredients until combined evenly.
- Scoop approximately 1 tablespoon of the mixture into the centre of a dumpling wrapper. Dip your finger in water and smear along the edges of the dumpling wrapper. Fold the dumpling wrapper over to create a half-moon shape, enclosing the filling inside. Seal the filling inside by pleating the edges together with your finger or pinch the edges together with a fork. Repeat until all the mixture and dumpling wrappers are used up.
- Cook by pan-frying, steaming or boiling.
- To Pan-Fry: In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add some dumplings and cook 2-3 minutes until bottom is crisp and golden. Add water (enough to cover the dumplings halfway up), cover, and steam the dumplings for about 5 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- To Steam: In a pot, bring water to boil . Place some dumplings in steamer on top and steam for 10-15 minutes until tender.
- To Boil: Fill a large pot with 2/3 water and bring to a boil. Add some dumplings and cook until they float and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining dumplings or store uncooked dumplings in the fridge for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To store in the freezer, place dumplings on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and freeze for an hour. Then transfer dumplings into airtight ziploc bags or tupperware and use as desired.