Quick and easy skillet Neapolitan margherita pizza has an iconic thin and soft crust with a perfectly crisp exterior, and simple and fresh toppings.
- 250 grams pizza dough
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves
- Turn the oven broiler to high. Heat a cast-iron skillet on the stove, over medium-high heat.
- Transfer pizza dough onto a floured surface. Gently press the pizza dough with your fingers into an 8-inch circle. Sprinkle some flour if needed to prevent stickiness.
- Have your pizza sauce and ingredients prepped and ready close by. Once the skillet is hot, place the flattened dough onto the skillet. Stretch out the dough a bit more to let it spread over the entire skillet. Quickly add the pizza sauce and spread evenly over the pizza crust. Place sliced fresh mozzarella cheese and basil leaves evenly on top.
- Leave the pizza to cook on the skillet for 5 minutes or until the bottom of the crust starts to brown.
- Transfer the cast-iron skillet to the preheated broiler and cook for 3 minutes or until the crust is blistered and slightly charred. Keep your eye closely on the broil, because the intense heat can make pizza crust burn quite quickly.
- Remove the skillet and transfer the pizza onto a parchment lined cutting board. Slice pizza into 4-6 pieces with a knife or pizza cutter and serve.
Use a cast-iron skillet. A cast-iron skillet makes this recipe super easy because you can easily transfer the pizza from the stovetop to the oven without taking it out of the skillet. If you don't have a cast-iron, you can use a regular skillet, and then carefully transfer the pizza to a parchment-lined baking sheet to broil.
Make your own pizza dough. I highly recommend making your own pizza dough. The difference in taste is unreal. I used my sourdough pizza dough for this recipe. The crust is airy and chewy with a delicious flavour. Or try my homemade pizza dough with commercial yeast.
Prep your ingredients. Have your pizza sauce and toppings prepped and close by before you begin. Once you place your pizza dough on the skillet, you will need to add everything else immediately.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: easy skillet neapolitan margherita pizza, skillet pizza, neapolitan pizza, skillet neapolitan pizza, vegetarian pizza