Easy homemade potato salad is loaded with baby potatoes, eggs, and green onions and tossed in a mayo sauce and is a go-to for summer barbecues and picnics.
- 1 lb. baby potatoes (approximately 15), scrubbed and sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon green onions
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a pot of cold, salted water and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes for 15-20 minutes until they are tender. You can test by sliding a knife into one of them – they should slide off. Once done, drain and set aside to cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, hard-boil the eggs in a separate pot. Place eggs in a pot and cover with water by at least 1 or 2 inches. Bring to a boil on high heat. Boil for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes. Remove from the stove and run eggs under cold water. Once they are cool enough to handle, peel and chop into small cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix together mayonnaise and vinegar. Add cooled potatoes, eggs, and half the green onions. Season with salt and pepper and gently toss together. I use a spatula to fold the ingredients together.
- Garnish with the remaining green onions, and serve.
Wait until the ingredients have cooled. Do not be tempted to assemble the salad until all the ingredients have cooled down, at least to room temperature. Otherwise, the texture of your mayo sauce may thin out and in some cases split.
Make it in advance. The best thing about this is that you can make the whole salad in advance and kick your feet up with your friends at the barbecue.
Double the recipe. This recipe makes 3-4 small side salads. If you are catering for a larger crowd, double or even triple the recipe. If you aren't feeding a crowd, well you should probably double it anyway because leftover potato salad the next day simply cannot be beaten.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: potato salad, potato and egg salad, easy potato salad, summer salad, baby potato salad, picnic salad, barbecue salad