Hearty and creamy tortellini soup with sausage, spinach and kale is total comfort food in a bowl. Make this flavourful one pot meal in under 30 minutes.
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (24 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 package (9 oz.) cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or half and half cream)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot for 2 minutes over medium high heat until the hot oil sizzles and shimmers. Add sausage and stir to cook for 5-7 minutes until browned. Break the sausages into small pieces using a spatula.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until tender. Stir well to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in flour until well combined, about 1 minute. Then, pour in tomato sauce. Turn the heat down to medium and stir well to combine. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Turn to low heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook until tender, about 8-10 mins according to package directions. Stir occasionally to cook evenly.
- Add heavy cream and stir well to mix. Make sure the heat is on low and stir well to achieve a smooth creamy consistency. You should notice the soup turn into a creamy orange colour after adding heavy cream. Add in spinach and kale. Cook for 1 minute until soft.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley on top and serve warm.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: creamy tortellini soup with sausage, tortellini sausage soup, creamy tortellini and sausage soup, soup with italian sausage