Hearty and creamy tortellini soup with sausage, spinach and kale is total comfort food in a bowl. Make this flavourful one pot meal in under 30 minutes.
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (24 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 package (9 ounces) cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or half and half cream)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Heat a large pot for 2 minutes over medium high heat hot. Add sausage and stir to cook for 5-7 minutes until browned. Break the sausages into small pieces using a spatula.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until tender. Stir well to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in flour until well combined, about 1 minute. Then, pour in tomato sauce. Turn the heat down to medium and stir well to combine. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Turn to low heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook until tender, about 8-10 mins according to package directions. Stir occasionally to cook evenly. If the texture of the soup is too thick, add in some water or chicken stock.
- Add heavy cream and stir well to mix. Make sure the heat is on low and stir well to achieve a smooth creamy consistency. You should notice the soup turn into a creamy orange colour after adding heavy cream. Add in spinach and kale. Cook for 1 minute until soft.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley on top and serve warm.
How to store: Store the soup in the pot (covered) or transfer to an airtight container, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to freeze: Transfer soup to an airtight container and freeze in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or for a few hours at room temperature on the kitchen counter. Then, reheat on the stove over medium-low heat and serve with fresh parsley on top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: creamy tortellini soup with sausage, tortellini sausage soup, creamy tortellini and sausage soup, soup with italian sausage