Rich and creamy potatoes au gratin is the ultimate comfort food made with sliced potatoes, cheese, and milk. It's the perfect side dish for the holidays.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium onion, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Grana Padano cheese, shredded
- fresh green onions, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish. Layer potatoes in the baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Whisk in flour and continue to whisk until browned, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, and add salt and pepper. Continuously whisk until mixture has thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Turn heat down to low and add cheeses and stir continuously until melted, about 30 seconds.
- Pour cheese sauce on top of the potatoes, and cover with aluminum foil. Place into oven and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and continue to bake for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned and the potatoes are tender and mixture has thickened.
- Garnish with fresh ground black pepper and green onions (optional) and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1.5 hours
- Category: Side Dish