This vegetarian, hearty and filling, creamy Mexican corn soup is dense, bright, and full of flavour! It is the perfect Cinco de Mayo recipe.
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup onions, chopped (approximately 1/4 onion)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 + 1/2 cups corn kernels, thawed from frozen
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup potato, chopped into small cubes (approximately 1 small potato)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne powder (optional)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- sour cream
- 1/4 cup corn kernels, toasted
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and corn and sauté until soft and tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add in vegetable broth, potato, salt and pepper, and cayenne (if using). Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat and add sour cream. Using an immersion blender to pulse the soup until desired consistency is reached. I like to keep this soup a little chunky, so I will puree about 3/4 of the soup. Then, stir in grated cheese until melted and combined.
- Transfer soup to serving bowls, decorate with a swirl of sour cream, toasted corn kernels and fresh cilantro. Serve with some freshly baked bread on the side.
To thin out the soup. For a thinner soup, add in 1/2 cup to 1 cup extra broth.
Double up. This soup is a small batch soup that will feed 2-3 people. To feed a crowd, I highly recommend doubling or tripling the recipe.
To use fresh corn kernels in the soup: Remove the outer leaves off the corn on the cobs and cut the kernels off the stalk with a knife. Increase the simmer cook time by 15 minutes.
To toast corn kernels for topping: Toss 1/4 cup corn kernels (thawed from frozen) with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and a pinch of cayenne powder. Transfer to the air fryer and cook for 6-8 minutes at 350 F.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: corn soup, mexican soup, mexican corn soup, corn, vegetable soup, gluten-free