Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta is a delicious 30 minute recipe that is packed with flavor, quick and easy to make, and will satisfy the whole family.
- 8 ounces dry pasta, spaghetti, linguine, or fettuccine
For the chicken:
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce, homemade or store-bought
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce, homemade or store-bought
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (for garnish)
Make the pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add spaghetti noodles and cook until al dente (fully cooked but still firm) according to package directions, about 10-12 minutes.
- Rinse the spaghetti under cold water to cool off completely and set aside in the pot.
Prepare the chicken:
- Use a paper towel to pat the chicken breasts completely dry. Season well with salt, pepper, and pesto. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes until the hot oil is sizzling hot.
- Sear the chicken until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side. The internal temperature for the chicken should reach 165F as read on a meat thermometer.
- Cut the chicken into strips and set aside on a plate.
Prepare the sauce:
- In the same skillet, add butter and allow it to melt until starting to bubble, about 1 minute. Add onion, garlic, and tomatoes. Sauté until the tomatoes burst, about 4-5 minutes.
- Whisk in heavy cream, chicken broth, and pesto sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer and stir occasionally until thickened to a desired consistency, about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked chicken to the sauce, and toss well to coat. Add in the pasta and toss again to combine.
- Garnish with pine nuts and serve warm.
Make ahead: You can cut down on preparation time by making the sauce ahead of time! Try making it a day or two in advance when you have a few minutes to spare. Your future self will thank you!
How to store: Allow the pasta to cool to room temperature, then place leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to freeze: Place in a freezer bag or airtight rubber storage container and freeze for 2-3 months. Allow it to defrost in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
How to reheat: Reheat creamy chicken pesto pasta in a skillet on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through. Add a splash of water if the sauce has thickened up too much in the fridge. You can also reheat it in the microwave (covered) on medium-low heat for 30 seconds to 3 minutes, until warmed through. The time will vary based on how much pasta you are reheating.
- Prep Time: 10 minuts
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pesto chicken pasta, creamy chicken pasta, creamy pesto pasta, creamy pesto chicken pasta, pesto pasta with chicken