Creamed spinach is a rich, creamy, and delicious side dish to make this fall. Easy to make ahead and reheats well — perfect for Thanksgiving holiday dinner or any time of the year.
- 1 + 1/2 lb. fresh spinach (3 bunches), stems removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour (or cornstarch)
- 1 + 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut fresh spinach in half and cook in a large pot of boiling water for 30 seconds until wilted. Rinse the spinach under running cold water until cool to handle. Drain it in a colander and squeeze out excess water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat until melted butter turns bubbly, about 1-2 minutes. Sauté onion and garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well to combine. Stir in heavy cream and Parmesan. Stir constantly and turn the heat down to medium. Bring the mixture to a simmer until smooth and thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in spinach and toss well to coat. Cook for 1 -2 minutes until heated through. Serve warm with extra Parmesan on top, if desired.
Blanching spinach: It’s important to be precise when blanching the spinach. Rinsing with cold water halts the cooking process, which is essential to avoid overcooked spinach.
How to store: Keep leftover creamed spinach in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
How to freeze: Let the creamed spinach cool down to room temperature and then transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to reheat, allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator first.
How to reheat: Reheat in the microwave covered on a low setting or reheat in a pan on the stovetop over low heat for a few minutes until warmed through. You may need to add a splash of water if it has become too thick.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamed spinach, how to make creamed spinach, homemade creamed spinach, creamed spinach recipe, easy creamed spinach,