Collard greens with bacon is a flavorful, delicious, and healthy side dish that is quick to make in 25 minutes. A stress-free holiday side for Christmas.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound collard greens, stems removed and cut into 1/2-inch wide pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup water (or chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Add bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Toss in the collard greens and season with salt. Stir well to coat and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and lemon juice. Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated and the greens are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and serve immediately.
- Once cooled to room temperature, transfer the collard greens with bacon to an airtight container or sealed plastic bag and store in the fridge for up to four days.
- Transfer leftover collard greens to a freezer bag or freezer-safe airtight container and freeze for up to 1 year. You can reheat it straight from frozen or thaw in the fridge overnight first and reheat.
- Reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat or in the microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: collard greens with bacon, sautéed collard greens, quick collard greens