Hearty coconut lamb curry is an easy one pot meal that is packed with flavour. Make it on the stovetop or in the slow cooker and freeze leftovers for later.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb. boneless leg of lamb or lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a 4 qt. Dutch oven or a large cooking pot for 2 minutes over medium high until the oil starts to sizzle and shimmer. Add in cubed lamb and stir well to cook evenly until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes until tender.
- Add garam masala, yellow curry powder, cumin seeds, and salt. Stir well to coat the lamb, and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and tomato paste. Stir well and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and cover the lid. Simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours until the lamb is fork tender. Use a fork to check the tenderness of the lamb. If you are able to insert a fork in the center of lamb with little resistance, it's cooked fork tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots and bring to a simmer uncovered. Stir occasionally and cook for 45 minutes until the potatoes and carrots start to soften.
- Remove the pot from heat and let rest for 20 minutes to cool down a little.
- Serve the coconut lamb curry with rice or garlic naan bread and garnish with cilantro.
Slow cooker instructions: First, cook the lamb in a large skillet to brown the lamb. Then, add onions and garlic and sauté until soft, according to recipe instructions. Then, transfer the lamb mixture to the slow cooker and add all remaining ingredients. Cover with the lid and set to cook for 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. Add water if needed to dilute the curry a bit.
How to customize: You can easily customize this lamb curry by adding in different vegetables. I like potatoes and carrots because they are so comforting in a curry like this. Some other vegetables that work well are cauliflower and broccoli, as they also soak in all the delicious curry juice. Any starchy vegetables work well too such as sweet potatoes and yams.
How to store: Store the leftovers in the pot with the lid on (for easy reheating the next day) or in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
How to freeze: Store lamb curry in an airtight container for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to meal prep: This is an ideal recipe for meal prep because it stores and freezes beautifully. Portion out some rice and curry in meal prep containers and store in the refrigerator to eat throughout the week, or in the freezer to last longer.
How to reheat: Reheat leftovers over the stove on medium heat until warmed through or in the microwave. If reheating from frozen, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator first.
- Category: Lamb
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: coconut lamb curry, coconut curry with lamb, coconut lamb curry with potatoes, easy lamb curry,