Thanksgiving just isn't the same without a slice of classic Thanksgiving pumpkin pie with flaky crust, smooth pumpkin filling, and topped with whipped cream and pecans.
For the pie crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup ice water
For the pie filling:
- 1 can (398 mL) pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- whipped cream (optional, for serving)
- pecans (optional for serving)
Make the pie crust:
- Add flour, butter, sugar, and salt into a food processor.Pulse on and off until flour mixture forms into small pieces of dough, approximately 1 minute.
- Drizzle ice water into the mixture (ice water is the key). Close the lid and continue to pulse on and off for another minute, until the dough turns into a breadcrumb consistency.
- Transfer dough (breadcrumbs consistency) on a work surface. Use your hands to squeeze all the pieces together until it forms into a dough. Shape it into a smooth disc. Wrap the disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Dust a work surface with flour and roll out the dough into a 14-inch circle. Transfer the rolled dough to a greased 9-inch pie plate. Fold the dough around the rim and tuck them under. Crimp the edges with your fingers.
Make the pie:
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, egg and egg yolks, until smooth. Add sweetened condensed milk, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour filling into the prepared pie crust and lightly shake the pie plate to release any air bubbles
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 F (175 C) and bake for another 40 minutes. The filling should be set in the middle at this point. To check if the pie is ready, insert a toothpick (or paring knife) into the filling, approximately 1 inch from the crust; if it comes out clean, it’s ready. NOTE: Do not overbake to avoid cracking in the middle of the pie filling.
- Remove from oven and allow the pie to cool completely before serving. Cooling down takes 2 hours at room temperature. Once cooled down, serve immediately or place in the refrigerator for storage.
- To serve, top with whipped cream and pecans.
To store, loosely cover the pie with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Pumpkin pie can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Wait time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Pie
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: classic Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie, Thanksgiving pie, canned pumpkin pie