Old-fashioned pecan pie is a classic fall dessert with a homemade pie crust and sweet custard filling loaded with crunchy pecans — perfect for Thanksgiving.
- 1 unbaked single 9-inch pie crust, homemade or store-bought
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup golden corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- If using homemade pie dough, roll out the chilled pie crust dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface using a lightly floured rolling pin. Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie dish. Trim the dough to a 1-inch overhang and fold it over to form a rim. Using your fingers, pinch the rim to create a crimped edge or use a fork and press down on the rim to form an edge.
- Lightly prick the bottom of the assembled pie dough (homemade or store-bought) all over with a fork. This helps to release air during baking. Transfer the pie plate into the refrigerator to chill.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in eggs, corn syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until combined. Mix in the pecans and carefully pour the pie filling into the chilled pie crust.
- Bake the pecan pie for 20 minutes, then cover it loosely with aluminum foil to prevent the crust from browning too much. Place the pie back into the oven and continue to bake for another 30-40 minutes until the top of the pie is golden and the filling has set. It will slightly jiggle when you gently shake the pie dish. Note that the center of the pie will also peak out but it will settle as it cools.
- Allow the pie to cool completely for several hours before slicing and serving. You could also serve it warm but note that won't hold its shape as easily when slicing.
Updated recipe: This recipe was originally published in 2017 and was updated with new photos and tips. The original recipe included the following pie crust recipe: 1 + 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup cubed butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2-4 tablespoons cold water. Instructions: In a large bowl, mix together the flour, butter, and salt using a pastry blender or two knives and cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some larger lumps. Drizzle 2 tablespoons ice water evenly over mixture and gently stir with a fork until incorporated. Squeeze some dough together a small ball. If it does not hold together, add more water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time and test again. Form the dough into a ball (do not overwork the dough) and flatten into a disc. Wrap the disc tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Then follow recipe as written.
How to freeze: You can also easily freeze this pecan pie either. Carefully wrap it tightly with plastic cling wrap or aluminum foil and store upright inside a freezer bag or airtight container. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: classic pecan pie, old-fashioned pecan pie, how to make pecan pie, homemade pecan pie, pecan pie recipe