This hearty classic meatloaf with a caramelized glaze will nourish your body and soul. Feed the whole family with a simple yet flavourful classic.
For the meatloaf:
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional, for serving)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, bread crumbs, milk, eggs, Italian seasoning, onion, garlic, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, salt and pepper. Mix well until the mixture forms into a uniform consistency.
- Transfer the beef mixture into a lightly oiled 9x5-inch loaf pan (1 lb. loaf pan), and invert it upside down onto a quarter sheet baking pan or 9x13-inch casserole pan to transfer the meatloaf over.
- Bake for 1 hour until the internal temperature reaches 160F, as read on a meat thermometer.
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine ketchup and BBQ sauce. Spread the sauce evenly over the meatloaf. Then, return the meatloaf back into oven and bake for additional 10 to 15 minutes to create a beautiful caramelized glaze.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately with a side of mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables. Drizzle any extra pan juices on top for extra flavour.
Dairy-free option: You can easily substitute the milk for your favourite unsweetened and unflauvored non-dairy milk.
How to store: Store leftover meatloaf in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
How to freeze: If you want to freeze your meatloaf, you should freeze it before cooking instead of after. Pack it into your pan, cover it tightly with plastic wrap, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.
How to make meatballs: Love this recipe? You can turn the beef mixture into meatballs instead of a meatloaf! Just roll the beef mixture into 1.5-inch thick meatballs, and then cook. You can cook the meatballs in one of 2 ways:
- In the oven: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place meatballs on a lined half sheet baking pan and cook for 15 minutes until fully cooked, once internal temperature reaches 160F).
- On the stovetop: In a large skillet, heat some butter or oil over medium-high heat until sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add meatballs and cook until browned on all sides and fully cooked, about 7-8 minutes. Make sure to stir gently to prevent the meatballs from disintegrating.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: classic meatloaf, easy meatloaf, how to make meatloaf, beef meatloaf, meatloaf recipe, ground beef recipe