Fresh, crisp, classic coleslaw salad is a must-have recipe for a summer barbecue or picnic, or as an easy make-ahead lunch. Make it in less than 10 minutes.
- 3 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup carrot, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- In a large serving bowl, combine cabbage, purple cabbage, and carrot.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together mayonnaise, vinegars, sugar, celery seeds, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add dressing to the salad and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerator for one hour to allow the flavors to infuse into each other more. Add more salt and pepper if desired, to taste.
airtight container for 3-5 days, it tastes best the day of or day after it’s made.Homemade coleslaw is best eaten fresh within a day or two, and here’s why. Over time, the vinegar will continue to soften the veggies, and the dressing can become watery. So, although it will last in the refrigerator in an
How to shred cabbage and carrots for coleslaw: To easily shred cabbage, simply cut the head of the cabbage in half, then finely slice each side with a chef’s knife. The best way to shred your carrots is with a cheese grater.
How to customize: Everyone has different preferences when it comes to their coleslaw. You might like yours a bit sweeter (or spicier!), so don’t be afraid to adjust the dressing to your taste.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: classic coleslaw, easy coleslaw recipe, how to make coleslaw, coleslaw recipe, coleslaw,