Celebrate love this Valentine’s Day with adorable chocolate-dipped shortbread heart cookies for your hunny. Try and just have one!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Confectioner’s sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet baking chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- assorted sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together for a couple of minutes using a stand mixer or hand mixer on medium speed.
- Add the vanilla and salt and continue to beat on medium until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour gradually until your mixture has formed a dough.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a clean surface and roll out the dough until it i roughly 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out your cookie shapes with a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on baking tray 1-inch apart and place tray in the refrigerator to chill while the oven is preheating.
- Bake the cookies 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Allow cookies to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Once the cookies are cooled, break up the chocolate into smaller chunks and melt with oil. Stir until smooth. Dip the cookies halfway into the chocolate and, if desired, sprinkle with assorted sprinkles. Place cookies on parchment paper and allow chocolate to set completely in the refrigerator.
- The first way to melt chocolate is on the stove over low heat. First, bring 2 inches of water to a low simmer in a saucepan. If using a big chunk of chocolate (instead of chocolate chips), break your chocolate into smaller chunks and place in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl on the mouth of the pot. Make sure that there is a gap between the bottom of the bowl and the water. Add some oil, and stir the chocolate as it melts. Your chocolate should melt within a few minutes.
- The second way to melt chocolate (and the easier way) is in the microwave. Place the chocolate and oil into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30-45 seconds until melted. Stir chocolate together until completely smooth.