Chicken Potato Soup is cozy, hearty, and delicious — loaded with chicken, potatoes, veggies, and greens simmered in a creamy broth. Ready in 40 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (about 1 pound)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup half and half (or heavy cream)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until sizzling hot, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and sauté until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in Italian seasoning until well combined.
- Add chicken broth, chicken breasts, and potatoes. Bring it to a boil and cook until the chicken is fully cooked through, about 12 minutes. (If using leftover cooked chicken, just cook for a few minutes until warmed through).
- Remove the chicken and shred into small pieces in just seconds using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer. You can also shred the chicken using 2 forks.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pot and stir in heavy cream. Cook until warmed through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
How to store: Transfer leftover chicken soup to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to freeze: Once cooled to room temperature, transfer leftover chicken potato soup to a freezer-safe container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. I recommend portioning them out before freezing to easily reheat the exact amount you want. To thaw, transfer to the fridge overnight before you want to use the leftovers.
How to reheat: Reheat on the stovetop on medium-low heat until warmed through or in the microwave until warm. You can also reheat straight from frozen in a crockpot after thawing it just enough to release it from the container.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken potato soup, chicken and potato soup, creamy chicken potato soup, chicken soup with potato