Homemade chicken noodle soup is classic, comforting, simple, quick, and easy to make at home. Plus, you can use leftover rotisserie chicken to save time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 8-10 cups chicken broth (depending on the size of the pot)
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (or 2 cups cooked shredded chicken)
- 1 cup pasta noodles, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- lemon juice (optional, for serving)
- Heat oil in a 4 quart Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles, about 1 minute. Add onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and chicken breasts. Cover the lid and bring it to a simmer over medium heat until chicken is cooked through, about 12-15 minutes. (If using cooked shredded chicken, just cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes).
- Remove the chicken and shred into small pieces with 2 forks. Once shredded, transfer back into the pot and mix evenly. (If you use cooked chicken, you can skip this step).
- Add noodles and cook until al dente according to the package instructions, stirring occasionally, about 6-8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in dill and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately and drizzle with lemon juice if desired.
How to store: Store chicken noodle soup in the same pot you cooked it covered with the lid, or transfer to an airtight container. It will stay good in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. My advice? If you’re not sure if you’ll eat it fast enough, freeze it right away. This way, it’s guaranteed to be fresh when you are ready to eat it.
How to freeze: Love chicken noodle soup? Save some for next week (and next month)! This chicken noodle soup freezes beautifully. Portion into freezer bags or airtight containers and freeze for up to 4-6 months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge.
How to reheat: Reheat on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through, about 5-10 minutes. You can also reheat a bowl in the microwave in 20 second increments until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken noodle soup, chicken soup with noodles, noodle soup with chicken, chicken soup, how to make chicken noodle soup, homemade chicken noodle soup