Chicken and rice soup is delicious, warm, cozy, and comforting feel-good meal that can warm you up on a chilly day. Easy to make in one pot.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 chicken thighs or legs, bone on, skin on
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro (2-3 cups), chopped
- In a large stockpot or 4 quart Dutch oven, add onion, garlic, rice, chicken broth, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn heat down to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and carrots. Bring to a simmer, cover and continue to cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in cilantro and cover. Simmer for another 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and shred it using 2 forks. Discard the bones and return the shredded chicken back into the pot.
- Serve immediately with a fresh squeeze of lemon juice. If the soup is too thick for your liking, add 1/2 cup of water at a time to thin it out. Season to taste with extra salt and pepper, if desired.
How to cook with rotisserie chicken: You can substitute with 3/4 to 1 cup of rotisserie chicken instead and cook for just 10 minutes instead of 45 minutes before adding in the cilantro and following the recipe as written.
How to store: Allow chicken and rice soup to cool to room temperature, then store in the same pot with the lid or transfer to an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How to freeze: Maximize the shelf life of your homemade chicken and rice soup by freezing it after it’s cooled down. Keep in a sturdy airtight container (but leave some room for the broth to expand). Eat within 3 months.
How to reheat: Reheat this chicken soup on the stovetop over medium heat, occasionally stirring until it is heated all the way through. If the soup is frozen, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight first. You can also reheat soup in the microwave in 20-30 second increments. If frozen, break up ice chunks with a spoon as best you can as you reheat.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: chicken and rice soup, one pot chicken and rice soup, chicken soup with rice, easy chicken soup, how to make chicken and rice soup