These bakery-style homemade Cherry Crumb Bars with 3 delicious layers are sweet, buttery, and tart. They’re easy to make and ready in just over an hour.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (375 grams)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (4 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (3 grams)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large egg
For the cherry filling:
- 4 cups pitted cherries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or all-purpose flour (10 grams)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (14 grams)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, and egg. Stir well with a fork or pastry cutter until the flour mixture forms into small crumbs. You can also combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse mix until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together pitted cherries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice until evenly coated.
- Line an 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on 2 opposite sides to make it really easy to remove when baked.
- Spread half of the crumb mixture evenly into the baking dish and press it to pack it and form an even bottom crust.
- Spread the cherry mixture over the crust and crumble the remaining half of the crumb mixture on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the crust turns golden brown. Let it cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes. You can serve it warm or let it cool completely to make it easier to cut. You can speed up on the process by storing in the refrigerator or freezer for 1 hour to help it set faster.
- Slice the cherry crumb bars into 9 or 16 squares and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side or or cold.
How to store: Store cherry crumble bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to freeze: You can also freeze cherry crumb bars for up to 3 months. If sliced, individually wrap each crumble bar in plastic cling wrap and store in a freezer bag or airtight container. When ready to eat, allow them to thaw overnight in the refrigerator or on the kitchen counter for a couple hours.
How to reheat: If you want to warm up your leftover berry bars, simply pop them into the air fryer at 350F for 5 minutes or in the oven for 10 minutes until warm. You can also reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments until warm.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cherry crumb bars, cherry squares, cherry crumble bars, cherry pie crumb bars, cherry pie bars