Cheesy Potato Soup is creamy, delicious, and comforting. This recipe takes everyday ingredients and transforms them in 30 minutes to a rich, luscious soup.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds Yukon gold or russet potatoes, chopped (approximately 3 cups)
- 2 cups stock, chicken or vegetable
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- sour cream (optional, for topping)
- green onions or chives, chopped (optional, for topping)
- Heat butter in a large cooking pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add potatoes and stock, and give everything a stir.
- Turn the heat up to high and bring the soup to a boil. Then, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are soft when you insert a fork.
- Use a potato masher or fork to roughly mash the potatoes.
- Stir in milk until incorporated. Add cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- You can serve the soup chunky, or puree it until smooth. If so, use an immersion blender and puree the soup directly in the pot, or transfer to a food processor or blender to puree.
- Serve warm and top with a dollop of sour cream and green onions, if desired.
How to store: Allow any leftover potato soup to cool to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. If only storing for a day or 2, you can keep it in the pot covered with the lid.
How to freeze: Transfer leftover cheesy potato soup to a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to six months. To thaw, transfer to the fridge a day before you want to use the leftovers to allow it to thaw overnight.
How to reheat: Bring it up to the desired temperature in the microwave or on the stovetop. You can also reheat straight from frozen in a crockpot or on the stovetop, but you’ll have to allow it to thaw a bit first or use a warm water bath to release the frozen soup from the container.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheesy potato soup, cheddar potato soup, potato soup with cheddar cheese, cheddar cheese potato soup