Carrot Cake Cookies are soft and chewy cake-like cookies with a delicious homemade cream cheese glaze on top. These cookies taste just like carrot cake but in cookie form — warmly spiced with classic flavors and obviously full of carrots and walnuts.
For the carrot cake cookies:
- 2 ¾ cup (330 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) quick oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) white sugar
- 3/4 cup (165 grams) brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup (130 grams) shredded carrots (about 2-3 medium-sized carrots)
- 1/2 cup (55 grams) chopped walnuts
For the cream cheese frosting:
- ½ block of cream cheese (1/2 cup or 125 grams), softened
- 1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups (360 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup (27 grams) finely chopped walnuts (for garnish)
Make the carrot cake cookies:
- Preheat the oven the 350°F, and prepare 3 large half sheet baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. You can also just prepare one and bake these cookies in batches.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, oats, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Whisk until well combined, then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Using a hand mixer (or stand mixer), beat them together until the mixture looks light and fluffy, and slightly paler, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, and beat again until well-combined. Add in the carrots, and beat once again until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ones, and beat until just combined. Use a spatula to fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Using a medium cookie scoop to scoop the cookie batter onto the 3 prepared cookie sheets. You should be able to fir about 7-8 per sheet, spacing the cookies 2-inches apart.
- Place into the oven to bake for 11-14 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (if baking in batches, your cooking time will be closer to 11).
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire cooling rack fully before topping with frosting.
Make the cream cheese frosting:
- In a medium mixing bowl and a hand mixer (or stand mixer), beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the confectioners sugar and beat until fully combined. Add vanilla and beat again for 1-2 minutes.
- Using an small offset spatula, spread 1-2 tablespoons of frosting onto each cooled cookie. Sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts to garnish.
How to store: Store leftover carrot cake cookies (unglazed) in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Once glazed, these carrot cookies will need to stored in the refrigerator because of the cream cheese in the glaze. Store them for up to 1 week in the fridge.
How to freeze: Freeze carrot cookies in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. If possible, it is best to freeze them before icing. Then, when ready to eat, allow the cookie to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and add the cream cheese glaze before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot cake cookies, carrot cake cookies with cream cheese glaze, carrot cookies, cookies with carrots, walnut carrot cookies,