Move over pumpkin, there is a new loaf in town! Butternut squash "pumpkin" bread is moist and flavourful, and brings the pumpkin spice season to your home.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin spice blend
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butternut squash puree (or pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons of your favourite syrup or freshly squeezed orange or lemon juice.
- pumpkin spice blend
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin spice together.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and slowly add sugar until the mixture turns a light yellow color. Add vanilla extract, oil, buttermilk and butternut squash (or pumpkin) puree and mix thoroughly.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients while continuously mixing the batter.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan. Pour the batter in the pan and bake for 60-70 minutes. Check if it is ready by sticking a toothpick in the center of the loaf bread and then withdrawing it. The toothpick must come out clean.
- Cool down the loaf bread completely.
- Mix the icing sugar with syrup or juice. I prefer to use maple syrup or orange juice. If you add juice, add it slowly and mix well until you get the consistency that you like.
- Cover the loaf bread with icing and sift some icing sugar with pumpkin spice blend for decoration.
- Category: Dessert