Butter cookies are a classic cookie with a crisp, slightly crunchy texture that melts in your mouth on the first bite — and every bite after!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 grams)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 large half sheet baking pans with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside,
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed (or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer), cream together butter, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in egg yolks and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add flour and mix until combined and a dough starts to form. Add in milk and combine until incorporated.
- Transfer the dough into a large piping bag with large open star tip attached (I used Ateco 826). In a circular motion, starting at the middle, pipe a round circle onto the lined baking sheet. Fill up the baking sheet, spacing the cookies about inches apart. Place in the refrigerator while the oven preheats.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes until the edges start to brown. Allow the cookies to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- You can serve as is, or dip them into melted chocolate and add sprinkles on top.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Danish
Keywords: butter cookies, homemade butter cookies, how to make butter cookies