Broccoli Rice is the perfect side dish: creamy, cheesy, healthy, and filling. Plus, it’s all made in one pot! Melty parmesan cheese, fluffy rice, and tender bite-sized broccoli come together to make this quick and easy recipe an excellent addition to almost any meal — and sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli florets, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high until the hot oil sizzles, about 1 minute.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add rice and broth. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and let the rice simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add olive oil, broccoli, and Parmesan cheese and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until the broccoli is tender and the cheese has melted, stirring constantly.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
How to store: Transfer cooled broccoli rice into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
How to reheat: Reheat in the microwave on high in 10-second increments until heated through or on the stovetop over medium-low heat until warm.
How to freeze: Transfer the cheesy broccoli and rice into a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating in the oven or microwave.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli rice, rice with broccoli