Broccoli cheese soup is creamy, cozy, and delicious simmered in a buttery cheesy broth for the perfect blend of textures and flavors — comfort food goals.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock or chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or whole milk)
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper(or to taste)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat until the hot oil sizzles, about 1 minute. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add butter and melt until it starts to bubble, about 1 minute. Add flour and whisk well until evenly combined and it forms a thick paste, about 1 minute
- Slowly stir in chicken broth and cream. Mix well and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let it simmer over medium heat for 8-10 minutes until thickened to a desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in broccoli and carrots and season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cover the lid and cook for another 8-10 minutes until tender. Stir occasionally to prevent a skin from forming on the cream.
- Turn off the heat and stir in cheese until well combined and fully melted, about 1 minute. Serve with extra cheese on top, if desired.
How to store: Keep leftover broccoli cheese soup in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
How to freeze: If you can’t finish the leftovers, you can easily freeze broccoli cheese soup for up to 3 months. However, freezing creamy soups can make them lose some texture, taste, and thickness. To reheat, allow the soup to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
How to reheat: Place soup in a pan on the stove and heat on medium-low until the soup is warmed through. If the soup becomes too thick, add water or broth to thin it out.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli cheese soup, homemade broccoli cheese soup, how to make broccoli cheese soup