Broccoli cheese casserole is creamy, cheesy, and delicious — the most comforting side dish. It’s crispy on the outside but soft and tender inside.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half (or whole milk)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2-3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb. broccoli florets (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium- high heat until it starts to bubble, about 1 minute. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in flour until evenly combined and cook for 1 minute. Add milk and chicken broth. Stir well and bring the sauce to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and keep stirring until thickened to a desired consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in half of the cheddar cheese until melted and well combined, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in broccoli florets and toss well to coat.
- Transfer and spread creamy broccoli mixture evenly into a 2.4 qt casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine Panko breadcrumbs with melted butter. Stir well until evenly combined. Sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake uncovered for another 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes and serve warm.
How to store: I like to keep casseroles in the same dish I make them in. After cooling, wrap your casserole in plastic cling wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to four days. You can also transfer and store in an airtight container.
How to reheat: The best way to reheat a casserole is in the oven at 350F for 15-30 minutes (depending on the size of your meal). Wrap it loosely in aluminum foil before baking.
Microwave instructions: You can also reheat broccoli cheese casserole in the microwave if you’re in a hurry. Heat in a covered microwave-safe dish for 2-5 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli cheese casserole, broccoli cheddar casserole, how to make broccoli cheese casserole, broccoli and cheese