Brie mac and cheese takes traditional macaroni and cheese to the next level. It's creamy, comforting, delicious, and easy to make in about 30 minutes.
- 1/2 pound shell pasta, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 + 1/2 cups milk
- 8 ounce brie cheese, rind removed and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Dijon mustard
For the breadcrumb topping:
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium high heat. Add shell pasta and cook just until it hits al dente, about 6-8 minutes. Drain well, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to make a roux, whisking constantly for about 1-2 minutes until roux is light and golden. Note that it will be clumpy.
- Gradually add in half the milk, whisking constantly until incorporated. The sauce will thicken and clump in the beginning but once you add in more milk, it will smoothen out again. Add in remaining milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add in brie and Parmesan cheese and reduce the heat to low. Add in salt, paprika, and Dijon mustard, and stir until the cheese has melted. Add in cooked pasta and toss together until fully coated with the cheese sauce. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, and paprika. Stir until combined. Add olive oil and stir until evenly combined and the mixture has the same consistency throughout. Sprinkle the breadcrumb topping on top of the mac and cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Let cool down for 5 minutes before serving.
How to store: Store baked brie mac and cheese in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last for about 3-5 days.
How to reheat: If you’re in a rush, you can microwave this baked mac and cheese in 20-second intervals, frequently stirring until it is warmed through. But, if you want to preserve the crisp topping of your baked mac and cheese, you should bake it again. Place the baked mac and cheese in an oven-safe dish and cover it with aluminum foil. Then, heat it in a 350F preheated oven for 15-25 minutes until it is hot all the way through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: brie macaroni and cheese, baked brie mac and cheese, mac and cheese with brie cheese, how to make mac and cheese, brie macaroni and cheese