Beet Hummus is a smooth and creamy vegan dip that is made with healthy ingredients including chickpeas, garlic, sesame, and real beets. It's flavorful and delicious and boasts a deep roasted flavor. This beet dip is vibrant and colorful making it perfect for serving at parties or with springtime meals!
- 1 medium beet
- 1/4 cup + ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (400 ml) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup tahini sesame paste
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water (or more as needed)
- 1-2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds, black and/or white (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Remove stem and most of the root from the beet and wash and scrub until clean.
- Loosely wrap the beet in aluminum foil and drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Wrap the foil and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour until tender (or until a fork can easily be inserted and removed). Transfer to the fridge to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, peel the beet and chop into small pieces. Then, throw in the blender.
- Add chickpeas, tahini, 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, and salt. Puree until well blended and creamy. Add ¼ cup of water to make the hummus creamier. Add more if needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour into a bowl and use the back of a spoon to create a circular spiral design. Drizzle some olive oil on top and garnish with roasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with crackers, toasted pita chips, and/or veggies for dipping.
How to store: Transfer any leftover hummus to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to one week. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
How to freeze: Fill a freezer-safe container or freezer bag with leftover hummus, leaving enough headspace for the hummus to expand when frozen. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dip
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: beet hummus, roasted beet hummus, homemade beet hummus