Creamy beef wild rice soup is savory, flavorful, and delicious, packed with vegetables and beef flank steak (or leftover roast beef!), and freezes well.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound beef flank steak or leftover roast beef, sliced into bite-size strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a 5.5 quart Dutch oven or large pot over medium high until sizzled, about 1 minute. Add beef and sauté until browned on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside on a plate. You can also use leftover roast beef (sear until warm and browned on all sides).
- In the same pot, add butter and melt over medium high until it starts to bubble, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and sauté until golden brown and tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, broth, and rice and mix well until evenly combined. Bring the soup to a boil, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the beef back into the pot, turn the heat down to medium-low, cover with the lid, and let the soup simmer until the rice is cooked and tender, about 40-45 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Turn off the heat and stir in heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more beef broth if you like the soup a bit thinner.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
How to store: Store leftover beef wild rice soup covered with the in the pot or in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
How to freeze: Beef wild rice soup freezes well. Portion it into individual-sized meal prep containers or freezer bags. Then, label them and freeze for up to six months. When ready to reheat, defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
Creamy or not creamy: You can skip the cream in this recipe for a delicious beef wild rice soup without cream. It's totally up to your personal preference.
Adding more flavor: If you find that you want more flavor in your soup, try adding a splash of vinegar or a squeeze of citrus juice (I prefer lemon). You might also need a pinch more salt. Add it to taste.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: beef wild rice soup, leftover roast beef and wild rice soup, beef soup with wild rice, wild rice soup with beef, beef soup