Beef taco soup is a delicious take on tacos, transforming it into a hearty, wholesome, filling soup topped with all the taco fixings. Ready in 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (about 3.5 cups)
- 1 + 3/4 cups beef broth (or one 14-oz. can)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup tortilla chips (or tortilla strips)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high for 2 minutes until the oil is sizzling hot. Add ground beef and cook for 5-7 minutes until browned. Make sure to break up the beef into small pieces to help with even browning.
- Add onion, jalapeño, and garlic. Stir well to combine and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Stir in paprika, cumin, and crushed pepper until evenly mixed.
- Add crushed tomatoes and beef broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the lid and let it simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add black beans and corn. Stir well to mix and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately and add toppings including tortilla chips (or tortilla strips), cilantro, lime juice, avocado, and cheddar cheese.
For a thicker soup: This soup features a good broth, but some prefer a thicker chili-like soup. To thicken the soup, consider mixing the beef broth with refried beans or mashing your black beans.
How to store taco soup: Store beef taco soup covered in the pot or in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
How to freeze taco soup: Freeze leftover soup in pre-portioned freezer bags or airtight containers for up to 4-6 months.
How to thaw and reheat: Thaw frozen taco soup overnight in the refrigerator. For best results, reheat soup in a saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: beef taco soup, how to make beef taco soup, taco soup, soup, taco soup with ground beef, ground beef taco soup, homemade taco soup