Beef taco salad is a simple, filling, and delicious meal loaded with your favorite taco fillings, and a creamy lime dressing. Make it in 20 minutes.
For the beef:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander (or dried oregano)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup beef broth or water
For the salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped (about 6-7 cups)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 medium ripe avocado, diced
- 1 cup cooked corn (canned or cooked from frozen)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or Tex-Mex blend)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, loosely packed
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crushed
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- Heat oil in a large skillet for 2 minutes over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles. Add ground beef and stir well to cook evenly until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Make sure to break up beef into small pieces to help even browning.
- Add cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper, tomato paste and beef broth. Reduce heat to medium and let the mixture simmer for 3-5 minutes until the sauce thickens a bit, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and set aside while you assemble the salad.
- In a large serving bowl, add all salad ingredients including lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, corn, cheese, cilantro, and tortilla chips.
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine the Greek yogurt and lime juice. The dressing will be a little thick. You can add extra lime juice to taste or to thin it out.
- Dollop a spoonful of dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
How to customize: This beef taco salad is completely customizable, and you can substitute with any of your favorite taco fixings such as pico de gallo salsa, black beans, jalapeños, queso, or hot sauce, and more.
Make ahead instructions: If you’re not going to eat all your beef taco salad in one go, or if making this ahead of time, refrain from combining all the ingredients to avoid wilted lettuce and soggy tortilla chips. Instead, store ingredients separately in airtight containers for up to 4 days, and build your salad when you’re ready to eat it.
How to store and reheat ground beef: Allow beef to cool to room temperature. Then transfer it into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, heat on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through. Alternatively, you can reheat in the microwave in 15-30-second increments until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: beef taco salad, ground beef taco salad, taco salad with ground beef, easy taco salad, mexican taco salad, how to make taco salad