Beef stroganoff is a delicious, flavorful, and comforting Russian pasta dish that is ready in under 25 minutes. The perfect weeknight dinner.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound beef flank steak or top sirloin (or leftover roast beef), sliced into bite-size strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard or ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 8 ounces dried wide egg noodles (about 2.5 cups)
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling hot, about 1 minute. Add beef and sauté until browned on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. (If using leftover roast beef, add it in and cook for 1-2 minutes instead, until starting to warm). Set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, add butter and melt over medium-high heat until it starts to bubble, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic and sauté until golden brown and tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add flour and mix until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add beef broth, heavy cream, sour cream, and mustard. Mix well until smooth and bring the mixture to a simmer, about 2-3 minutes.
- Return the cooked beef to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Stir well and let it simmer over medium heat until heated through and the sauce thickens to a desired consistency, about 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve warm with pasta (I like to serve with egg noodles).
- To cook egg noodles: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add egg noodles and cook according to package directions, about 6 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
How to store: Leftover beef stroganoff should be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
How to freeze: You can freeze leftover beef stroganoff for up to three months. Be sure to separate it into portion sized meal prep containers before freezing for easy thawing. When ready to reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
How to reheat: Reheat beef stroganoff on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through. Add a splash of water if the sauce has thickened out too much. in the fridge. You can also reheat in the microwave on medium-low heat in 30-second intervals until warmed through, stirring between each interval.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Russian
Keywords: beef stroganoff, how to make beef stroganoff, homemade beef stroganoff, beef stroganoff with leftover roast beef, leftover roast beef stroganoff