Fresh homemade basil pesto is vibrant, colourful, flavourful and extremely easy to make at home in just 5 minutes with a few ingredients.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (or cashews)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a food processor, add basil, garlic, pine nuts and Parmesan. Pulse mix until well combined, about 1 minute. Then, add salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Slowly pour in olive oil while mixing on low speed until fully combined. You can stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor occasionally to help mix evenly.
- Transfer the pesto sauce into a bowl and serve immediately. You can serve with extra olive oil on top.
How to store: Store basil pesto sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
How to freeze: Store basil pesto in an airtight container or freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. You can also portion out the pesto into an ice cube mold and freeze. Once frozen, transfer the cubes to a freezer bag.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: basil pesto, homemade basil pesto, homemade pesto, how to make pesto, easy basil pesto