Grilled Balsamic Chicken Kabobs are a delicious flavorful summer grill staple marinated in a balsamic sauce, skewered with vegetables, and grilled or baked.
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thigh, cut into 1.5-inch thick cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
Marinate the chicken:
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1.5-inch thick cubes and evenly season with salt and pepper. Set aside in a large bowl or Ziploc bag.
- Combine balsamic vinegar, honey, olive oil, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well until smooth.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of the sauce mixture and add the rest to the bowl of chicken. Toss well to coat all the chicken. Cover the bowl with plastic cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight for the best results).
Grill the chicken:
- Thread 4 cubed chicken breasts onto each skewer, alternating with a piece of red bell pepper, red onion, and zucchini. Season all over with a little bit of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat grill over medium high to 450F, about 6-8 minutes
- Place the skewers spaced evenly apart on the grill and grill for 5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature for the chicken reaches 165 F as read on a meat thermometer. Do not overlap the skewers at any time to ensure even cooking for all the skewers.
- Brush the reserved sauce over the skewers on both sides and grill for another 1-2 minutes until nicely charred, flipping once during grilling.
- Remove the skewers off the grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm on its own or with a side of rice or pita bread, if desired.
How to cook in the oven: If you don’t have a grill, you can also bake the chicken skewers in a 450F preheated oven for 16-18 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked through. Baste the skewer with reserved sauce and broil on HI for 2-3 minutes until nicely charred on the edges.
Make ahead instructions: Kabobs taste best when freshly grilled, but you can prep them ahead and throw them on the grill when ready. Thread the skewers and store the raw kabobs in the fridge for 1-2 days before cooking.
How to store: Keep leftover balsamic chicken kabobs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
How to reheat: Preheat the oven to 350F and wrap the kabobs in aluminum foil. Reheat for 10-20 minutes until warmed through. For juicier kabobs, you can add a splash of water or chicken broth to the aluminum foil wraps.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Marinate Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: balsamic chicken kabobs, balsamic chicken skewers, balsamic chicken kebabs, grilled chicken skewers