Baked mashed potato spring rolls combines the comforting flavours and textures of creamy mashed potatoes with a crisp crunchy layer of spring roll heaven.
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (approx. 3 large potatoes)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into smaller pieces
- 3/4 cup half and half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 40-50 spring roll wrappers
- water for sealing spring roll wrappers
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- bacon bits
- sliced green onions
- Place potatoes in a medium pot and cover with salted water to cover potatoes by about an inch. Heat over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes soft when you insert a fork.
- Drain potatoes and place back in the pot. Using a potato masher (or a fork), mash the potatoes. Using an electric hand mixer, add in the butter and whisk until melted and incorporated into the potatoes. Slowly add in the cream and continue to whisk with the electric mixer. Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.Remove from heat and allow to cool down completely.
- To assemble the rolls, take a spring roll and place it diagonally on a clear surface. Place approximately 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of filling centered approximately 3/4 of the way down from the top. Fold up the bottom so it covers the filling. The bottom corner should approximately touch the centre of the wrapper. Bring in the two side corners to the center and fold over top. Roll the wrapper up tightly until 2-inches remain on top. Lightly brush the remaining corner on top with water and roll up to seal like a burrito.
- Place rolled spring rolls on a parchment lined baking tray and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Brush vegetable oil all over spring rolls. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn spring rolls around and continue to bake for another 10 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Remove from oven and top with sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon bits and green onions. Serve warm!
- Prep Time: 40 minutes + 30 minutes freezing
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Asian/American